Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Brick Walls-Restaurant Food-WATCH OUT

Why is it when we are trying to make changes for the better that it is easy to hit a brick wall. When we feel like we are done and can't go without that chocolate or fast food any longer!   Ed and I went to dinner for Valentines Day and I ordered pasta. Not the best choice. I only ate 1/3 of it. I got home and looked up the content of the food. 1500 calories and 87 grams of fat. I normally would have ate that whole thing.  Realizing what is in restaurant food has taken the fun out of eating out for me. Wow! 1500 freak'n calories. Of course by eating 1/3 of that I probably had 500 calories and 29 grams of fat. So i should atleast feel good that I stopped when I did.  Why didn't I just order the salad? I guess salad is kindof boring sometimes and you eat out for entertainment.  The waiter kept coming back and asking if I was ready. I didn't really feel like Salmon which is a healthy choice there and I couldn't see paying the bucks for a salad since I eat them everyday for lunch.  I think it took me about 20 minutes to decide and i caved and went for the fattening pasta! Yuck!  (It really did taste good though :) ).  I said to my husband that I should just order what i want and not worry about because it was Valentines Day and just because I feel like it.   He said something to the fact that now you know how people who drink alcohol feel.  We both surrendered to the temptation that eating was about enjoying yourself on a special holiday. He joked with me that I should just enjoy it today because the next holiday isn't until St. Patricks day :)  Why is that we give our self allowance on our health on holidays.  Why is it so hard to overcome that temptation.   Sometimes I wonder if I am addicted to food. Is everyone else around me addicted to food!?  Are we all eating for entertainment and not to sustain are life? That question is something I hope to understand better one day.  So even though I give myself a thumbs down for ordering the pasta. I should give my self a thumbs up for only eating what I did!

3 comments:

ashley said...

Jill, I really am so proud of you for what you are doing. I am giving you 10 thumbs up for only eating 1/3 of your meal. I don't think I have that sort of self control. I know you can stick to your resolve. You are very self motivated and so driven. I have 100% confidence in you.

Anonymous said...

okay jill here is a article you should read! I read it and i don't think i can eat fries again like i used to. If i do eat them it is only half the amount if that...http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis
sorry i am not a very good blogger!
also i learned that you should drink 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday. (i only drink about 5 on a good day) since we live in a dry state we need to drink more rather than less.
a fact about water.. often times when we feel hungry we are just thirsty, it reduces headaches, and makes your work out whatever it is that much more effective. i have challenged myself to drink at least 6 to 7 to start off with. why don't you do it with me!?
love you!

Roscoe and Daisy said...

I think your doing great. Its a very hard thing to change eating habits. I have been a real pig lately- don't tell me that the pasta had 1500 calories- that is crazy- did you go to Olive Garden? Oh I am addicted to going out so then I don't have to make the meal. I wish eating out was healthier too. Too bad its not!
Yes, great job on only eating 1/3 the pasta!